So Do It

Through talking with my coach, Kathryn, I realized that I was really worrying that other people might think of me as naive or idealistic to care so much about this. The thought doesn't ring true when I write it or speak it out, but it's what my brain was telling me and somehow, even though I knew better, it was making me feel small.

Eventually, as a result of my talks with Kathryn in which she challenged that thought, and after reading "Daring Greatly", I got up the courage to email the CEO of our company to ask him if we have a sustainability aspect to our business plan. I went on to explain that, if we don't, I think we should.

My heart was beating faster after I sent that email. But I felt proud of myself. I had a very close friend at work proof-read the email for me, and I copied her because she cares about this too. And we had a moment of being amped over it together. =D

One of the many reasons that I had talked myself out of writing that email several times before was the fact that I don't see a glaringly obvious issue area for our company to improve on what it was already doing. After sending the email though, I realized that just by voicing this opinion, I may be influencing someone who has a wider sphere of influence and, as a result of owning a successful business, a wider pool of resources that he could bring to the table. 

It's been a week now since I sent that email. And I'm really interested to see what he writes back. 


Is it my brain or is it Death Valley? (November 2020)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

One Step

On Vulnerability